Saturday 7 June 2014

PSALM 91 Dwelling in the help of the Highest

Knox Translation from the Latin Vulgate
Psalm 91 : 14-16
      He trusts in me,
                    mine it is to rescue him;
      he acknowledges my name,
                    from me he shall have protection;
      when he calls upon me,
                    I will listen
      in affliction,
                    I am at his side, to bring him safety and honour.
      Length of days he shall have to content him
                    and find in me deliverance.

These are God's thoughts about you, me, each of us
who trust in him, who acknowledge his name,
who call upon Him.     He is at our side.

Praying the psalms makes us open
to let the word of God inform and transform us.
Singing the Psalms together is charismatic.
"Charismatic" because it is one to one in the Spirit,
with no intermediary,....... no choirmaster,
no worship leader and nobody to tell us what to think....
just our heart alive in the Spirit,  in the presence of God
by the grace of our Lord Jesus.
From our experience of prayer
some knowledge of God transpires.
    This translation of these verses reveals 
the very personal relationship which God has with each of us.

Through our praying of this Psalm and singing it,
our own experience of God's protective love for us
is felt and felt more deeply.
This is one of the psalms for which the process of
Lectio Divina can be most powerful.

Repeating the lines which speak of God's loving
attitude towards us, to ponder on that, to feel it
and internalize it deeply, touches our souls and
we realize that we can be lifted up in the hands of angels,
and we will be !
We will be lifted up in the hands of angels.

In the meantime,
in the length of days we shall be given,
we take refuge in the God in whom we find deliverance,
in whose shelter we have learned to trust.
We live in the shelter of  The Most High .
We abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
We say to the Lord;-
      "My refuge and my fortress
       my God in whom I trust."

No comments:

Post a Comment