Tuesday 3 February 2015

PSALM 131 Stillness Before God

Psalm 131:1-3  KJV
Lord, my heart is not haughty nor mine eyes lofty
neither do I exercise myself in great matters
or in things too high for me.
Surely I have behaved and equited myself,
as a child that is weaned of his mother
my soul is even as a weaned child.
Let Israel hope in the LORD
from henceforth and forever.

Psalm 18:27  ESV
For you save a humble people
but the haughty eyes you bring down.

HUMILITY
footnote to NRSV  Spiritual Formation Bible.
One of the core obstacles to spiritual maturity is;-
over reaching ambition. The need to run the world,
to control what happens, saps our energy and
sabotages our ability to trust.

footnote to  NJB
The soul at peace abandons itself to God,
laying aside anxiety and ambition.
The same childlike trust is demanded of
the people of God.

Our spiritual discipline should embrace
the stillness required to give our God
the quiet attention we need to give him.

Psalm 131:1-3  The Christian Community Bible
gives a good modern rendition of psalm 131.

1 O Lord, my heart is not proud
   nor do I have arrogant eyes.
   I am not engrossed in ambitious matters,
   nor in things too great for me.
2 I have quieted and stilled my soul
   like a weaned child in it's mothers lap
   like a contented child is my soul.
3 Hope in the Lord, O Israel,
   now and forever.

......and with such a disposition of trust and 
contentment, Israel may hope in the LORD.

Psalm 131:1 reflects the attitude of David before God
at his ascension to the throne.
  (2 Sam 5:1-5  and  .1Chr 11:1-3)
The same childlike trust is demanded of
the people of God in our day........
as trusting as a kitten sleeping
on it's owners knee.



No comments:

Post a Comment