Thursday 9 April 2015

PSALM 146 GOD OUR HELP

Psalm 146 ESV
3    Put not your trust in princes......
5    Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob
      whose hope is the LORD his God
6    who made the heaven and earth.

This is not a theory.
this is a facet of the dynamic in which we choose to live.
Our hope is in God, our divine Helper.
Those who experience the enabling power of the Spirit of Christ
are aware that God's help can be physical, spiritual,  political,
military, personal, emotional, medical, even nutritional,
educational, and financial !
From the cradle to the grave our choices have consequences.
Verse 3 is a warning not to depend on people or leaders
who have little interest in us personally. Our Creator and Saviour
 has the very best intentions for our future and
for our lives now.
The testimony of the psalmist is often explicit.

Psalm 28:7 KJV
The LORD is my strength and my shield.
my heart trusteth in him, and I am helped:
therefore my heart rejoiceth;
and with  my song will I praise him.
Psalm 40:17 KJV
.....the Lord thinketh upon me,
thou art my help and my deliverer.

God's word to Isaiah speaks to us
Isaiah 41:10 KJV
Fear not for I am with thee, be not dismayed, for I am God:
I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee ;
yea I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.
Psalm 71:5-6 ESV
5 For you, O Lord are my hope,
        my trust, O LORD , from my youth.
6 Upon you have I leaned from before my birth;

The testimony of Isaac Watts ( 1674-1748 )
is in the same Spirit......from the first verse of a hymn he wrote.
     O God our help in ages past, Our hope for years to come,
  Our shelter from the stormy blast, And our eternal home.

Psalm 71:17 NRSV
     You have taught me from childhood , God.
Psalm 147:4  ESV
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wouinds.
Psalm 147:14 ESV
he fills you with the finest of the wheat.
Psalm 23:5 ESV
You prepare a table for me, in the presence of my enemies,
you anoint my head with oil : my cup overflows.

We are enabled by the Creator and Sustainer of life.
Our ongoing relationship with Him , in constant prayer,
leads to reflective living,
and our everyday lives are lived out in the courts of His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment