Sunday 28 June 2015

PSALM FIVE

Psalm 5:1-2  ESV,  English Standard Version.
1   Give ear to my words , O LORD;
     consider my groaning.
2   Give attention to the sound of my cry,
     my King and my God,
     for to you do I pray.

"God and king" might have limited significance if you were a peasant living
 in a forest and the king lived in a palace far away and did not know your name.
But if your God is the God of creation and he chose you personally, before
time began, to be His adopted son, that makes a difference.
Then if the same God also reigns in your heart, not as a tyrant king, but as
the most loving Heavenly Father, bestowing paternal direction, paternal 
love and forgiveness, and blessing upon blessing,.....
then what a blessing that is.

Psalm 5:3  ESV
O LORD, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning, I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch.

Like the psalmist, Jesus rose early
to pray to his Heavenly Father.

Mark 1:35 ESV
And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark,
he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.

"My God and my king" in verse 2 leads to" my voice," in verse 3
which underlines the personal nature of these attitudes and actions.
The words suggest that the psalmists prayer is spoken aloud;-
"my words"  "my groaning"  "the sound of my cry"
" my voice" and "my prayer". 

It is important that from the beginning of the day
I address God's presence and God's purposes.
I turn up to Him to find out His agenda.
It is not right to get the day started up then decide 
if and when we can fit Him in.

LEVITICUS 20:7-8 New English Bible
Hallow yourselves and be holy,  because I the LORD your God am holy.
You shall keep my rules and obey them: I am the LORD who hallows you.

ESV...Consecrate yourselves          KJV  Sanctify yourselves

In Leviticus 20:7-8 we find, not a text book , but words of direction,
addressed in love by our Heavenly Father.
Psalm 5
7   But I through the abundance of your love
will enter your dwelling place..........
8   Lead me, O LORD in your righteousness.....
12 (13 in the Jewish Study Bible)
For You surely bless the righteous man, O LORD,
encompassing him with favor like a shield.

What a prayer;-   Encompass me with favor like a shield.
What a blessing;-  May the LORD bless you by encompassing you
with favor , like a shield..

No comments:

Post a Comment