Tuesday 15 September 2015

PSALM 14 some background

Some Old Testament background to Psalm 14
In 1st Samuel Chapter 25.....    While out in the wilderness,
David seeks food for his men. He asks someone
named "Nabal"  (literally fool)  for some food.
Nabal,s response is an insulting refusal.

In the Psalms of David  (Psalm 74:22)  David prays;-
     "Rise up, O God, plead your cause;
     Remember your insult (herpa) from a fool (nabal)
                                                                                   Psalm 74:22
and again in psalm 39:8  David prays;-
     Do not make me the scorn (harpa)  of a fool (nabal)
                                                                                   Psalm 39:8

In Psalm 14  the wicked and corrupt are equated with a fool.

We read of wickedness in 2nd Samuel Ch13 v 12-13.
Tamar was David's daughter   and Amnon her half brother.
2nd Samuel 13:7 ESV
Then David sent home to Tamar , saying "Go to your 
brother Amnon's house and prepare food for him"
verse 11;- he took hold of her and said to her, 
"Come lie with me sister"
12  She answered him, "No, my brother, do not violate me,
for such a thing is not done in Israel;   do not do this
 outrageous thing.
13 As for me where could I carry my shame ?
And as for you, you would be as one of the outrageous fools
 in Israel.
14 But he would not listen to her, and being stronger than she,
he violated her and lay with her .
19 And Tamar put ashes on her head and tore the long robe she wore.
And she laid her hand on her head and went away, 
crying aloud as she went.
21 When King David heard of all these things, he was very angry.

David's prayer in psalm 14  is informed by the reality of wickedness
in everyday life. But David's supplication is made , in confidence
and trust , from long experience and deep faith.

Psalm 36:7 ESV
How precious is your steadfast love, O, God !
The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings..

Psalm 14:6
You (the evildoers) would shame the plans of the poor
but the Lord is his refuge.

These prayers ask for more than a promise for the future.
These words are spoken in the present tense
with the assurance that God is right in our present circumstance.
God is our refuge and strength now !
The God to whom I pray
is right in my present circumstance.

My God in whom I trust, You are my refuge and my fortress.
                                                                                                  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment