Friday 30 May 2014

PSALM 88 Nightprayer

Psalm 88:1-2 NRSV
O LORD, God of my salvation,
When, at night I cry out in your presence,
let my prayer come before you;
incline your ear to my cry.

"incline your ear" suggests a child whispering to a parent,
as in a personal relationship.
In Psalm 88, the address "O LORD, God of My salvation"
really implies reverence and awe.
"I cry out in your presence" suggests that the psalmist
is experiencing an awareness of the divine presence.

Psalm 88:13 NRSV
But I, O LORD, cry out to you
in the morning my prayer comes before you.

The words "cry out before you", imply a most earnest,
heartfelt, reaching out to God in prayer.

People who have prayed through the darkness of war
have been glad to give thanks for the daylight of peace.
The  overnight prayer of anguish can become prayer of relief
in the morning, but that is not always the way.
If we listen we will hear our Lord speak peace into the new day.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment