Monday 18 January 2016

PSALM 22 Prayer of Christ

Psalm 22:1 NASB
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me ?

The "Why" which Jesus uttered on the cross, quoted from Psalm 22,
is addressed to "my God".
This validates the Psalms as  a source for Christians.
What Jesus did for us on the cross, allows us to enter the sanctuary,
which , till then, had been restricted to the chief priest.
There is no higher priest than Jesus , priest forever after the order of  Melchisedec
If Jesus can pray the the prayer of David, Christians can be quite at
one with David in praying the psalms, the very word of God.

Psalm 31:5 NASB
Into Your hand I commit my spirit;
You have ransomed me, O LORD God of Truth.

In prayer and in practice ,we Christians put ourselves into the hands of the Lord
who has demonstrated his love for us in the sacrifice of his redeeming action.
"My God" is a personal term which each of the redeemed may now use.
The address " My God " is confirmed by the words by which Jesus
taught us to pray...."Our Father"
The address "My God" is asserted in Psalm 22:1 and in Psalm 22:10
and again in Psalm 31:14 NASB
14  But as for me, I trust in You , O LORD,
      I say "You are my God".                                     Amen

.Psalm 22:16 NASB
A band of evildoers has encompassed me
they pierced my hands an feet.

Psalm 69:21 NASB
And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Psalm 22:30-31 NASB
30      Posterity will serve Him
          It will be told of the LORD to coming generations
31      They will come and declare His righteousness
          To a people who will be born, that He has performed it.

Reading through Psalm 22 in several translations, one is aware
that the verses quoted here surely speak of Jesus Christ,( God become man)
on the cross of Calvary, and of the physical and spiritual action
of God The Son on our behalf.
In Psalm 22, David sets an example of how to match our plight
with our trust in God.  We affirm the character of God as most holy.
We can recall the trust which the people of God have previously shown,
identifying with them as God's covenant people.
In ourselves we may assume the humility of people who really need help
and are at a loss without God's enabling power.
            Keeping in mind our own relationship with God...........
Psalm 22:10 NASB  You have been my God from my mother's womb.
............helps us to constantly seek God's intervention
            in our own personal circumstances.
In verse 3 the psalmist reveals something of his attitude, his faith,
his experience , and the nature of his own worship .
Psalm 22:3 NASB   Yet You are holy.
O You who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
             
             Today Jesus is enthroned in the praises of  all who worship in Spirit and Truth;-
             In Him we live (in Jesus) in Him we are, all that we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment