Wednesday 19 March 2014

Psalm 69 Confidence Firmly Grounded

Psalm 69:16  ESV  and NRSV
Answer me , O LORD, for your steadfast love is good
according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.

Psalm 69:16 Amplified Bible
Hear and answer me, O LORD, for Your loving-kindness is sweet and comforting;
according to Your plenteous tender mercy and steadfast love, turn to me.

Psalm 59:17 New Living Translation
O my Strength, to you I sing praises
for you, O God, are my refuge
the God who shows me unfailing love.

Psalm 69:16 New English Bible
Answer me, O LORD, in the goodness of your unfailing love
turn towards me in thy great affection.

Psalm 59:17 and 69:16 show that it is God's unfailing love
that gives the psalmist confidence to pray to Him.
In these Psalms the psalmist is NOT praying with groundless optimism !
The psalmist is depending on God's covenant love and compassion.
He is trusting in God's covenant promises and unfailing steadfast love.
Neither do we pray with groundless optimism to-day.
Our own peace with God depends on all that the Lord Jesus did for us
on Calvary. Jesus is the fulfilment of those covenant promises.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life.
                                         John 3:16  AV 

No comments:

Post a Comment