Monday 30 November 2015

PSALM 25 friendship > fellowship

Psalm 25:14                            New American Bible 1970
The friendship of the LORD is with those who fear him,
    and his covenant, for their instruction.

Psalm 25:14                          New Living Translation 1996
Friendship with the LORD
is reserved for those who fear him.
With them he shares the secrets of his covenant.

Psalm 25:14             New Living Translation 2004 edition
The LORD is a friend to those who fear him.
He teaches them his covenant.

David, the psalmist prays;-                               (RSV 2nd CE)

v16   Turn to me and be gracious to me for I am lonely and afflicted

 v17  Relieve the troubles of my heart, and bring me out of distress
.
v18  Consider my affliction and my trouble, and forgive all my sins.

Those who have a profound respect for the Lord Our God
are involved in a personal relationship with our Lord 
whose friendship, fellowship, counsel, revelation ,and 
one to one instruction are part of the experience of Charismatic Christians.
The New American Standard Bible , updated 1995
offers three renderings of Psalm 25:14;-

a     The secret of the LORD is for those who fear him:
b     the counsel of the LORD is for those who fear him:
c     the intimacy of the Lord is for those who fear him:

From Psalm 25 RSV 2nd Catholic edition 2006
v8   .......he instructs the sinners in their way
v9   .......he leads the humble in what is right
              and teaches the humble  his way
v12        Who is the man who fears the LORD 
              Him he will instruct in the way that he should choose.
v14        the friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him
              and he makes known to them his covenant.

In friendship and fellowship the Lord instructs, leads, teaches, and makes known.
This is what the psalmist prays for in psalm 25 .

v4          make me know your ways....teach me your paths
v5          lead me in your truth and teach me
v11        pardon my guilt
v18        forgive my sins.

In psalm 25 we have an icon, a doorway, which opens
onto the empowering love of the Trinity.
We can, if we listen in the enabling power of the Spirit,
hear Jesus in the voice of David.
It is the same Spirit who enables us to receive the
one to one teaching, leading and  revelation of our Heavenly Father.
The NAB translation of  Psalm 25 verse14 indicates that we should 
have awe and respect (fear) for the covenant.
We give more than lipservice to the decalogue,
Out heart's attitude and desire is to walk in His way.
From STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE
H5475  ;-   intimacy,   consultation,   a secret,  counsel, or secret counsel.





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your powerful post. I love psalm 25. But in Hebrew i Can not find the word : friendship. Only: "The secret".

    ReplyDelete