Wednesday 21 August 2013

PSALM THIRTY-NINE The Mind of Christ in Psalm 39

From The New American Bible (1970) Psalm 39:1-3
I said, " I will watch my ways, so as not to sin with my tongue;
I will set a curb on my mouth"
While the wicked man was before me, I kept dumb and silent;
I refrained from rash speech, But my grief was stirred up;                ( he was grieved )
hot grew my heart within me; in my thoughts, a fire blazed forth,
I spoke out with my tongue:

From The New Jerusalem Bible Psalm 39:4  (verse 2&3 in some bibles)
I stayed dumb, silent, speechless,
but the sinner's prosperity redoubled my torment.
my heart had been smouldering within me,
but at the thought of this it flared up
and the words came bursting out.

The word grief can mean; sorrow or distress or remorse.
When a ship comes to grief we call it a shipwreck
when the ship is lost ir destroyed.
Allowing resentment and aggression to build up in our own heart,
over things which have happened in the past,
or have been happening recently........brings harm to ourselves.
The wicked sail on oblivious .

No comments:

Post a Comment