Monday 22 December 2014

PSALM 119 Deliverance from human oppression

Psalm 119:134   NRSV
                                       Redeem me from human oppression.

Psalm 120:2      NRSV
                                       "Deliver me, O LORD,
                                       from lying lips,
                                       from a deceitful tongue."

Psalm 142:6     NRSV
                                       Give heed to my cry,
                                            for I am brought low.
                                       Save me from my persecutors,
                                            for they are too strong for me.

Psalm 3:7-8     NRSV
                                     Rise up, O LORD !
                                           Deliver me, O my God !
                                     For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
                                           You break the teeth of the wicked.
                                     Deliverance belongs to the LORD;
                                           may your blessing be on your people !

Psalm 59:1-2  NRSV
                                   1  Deliver me from my enemies, O my God;
                                       protect me from those who rise up against me.
                                   2  Deliver me from those who work evil;
                                       from the bloodthirsty save me.

Psalm 17:13   NRSV
                                       By your sword deliver my life from the wicked.

Psalm 119:133-135  NRSV

                             . . . . .never let iniquity have dominion over me.
134                                Redeem me from human oppression,
                                      that I may keep your precepts.
135                                Make your face shine upon your servant,
                                      and teach me your statutes.

                    In order to be totally in harmony with the will of God,
                    with His way, with His order,
                    totally in harmony with His plans for society,
                    and for the future of the world,
                    the psalmist asks;- to be delivered from human oppression,
                                                  and to be taught God's statutes. . . . . . . .

The above verses are the word of God and are appropriate to be prayed by and for
the people of the Lord who are suffering oppression, persecution, violence and
other works of evil. Several verses in Psalm 17 may be spoken into such situations.

Psalm 17: 7,8,9,13,  NRSV
7     Wondrously show your steadfast love,
       O Saviour of those who seek your refuge
       from their adversaries, at your right hand.
8     Guard me as the apple of the eye;
        hide me in the shadow of your wings,
9      from the wicked who despoil me,
        and from my deadly enemies who surround me.
13    Rise up, O LORD confront them, overthrow them!
        By your sword deliver my life from the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment