Wednesday 31 December 2014

PSALM 119 Desire God's Will

When we desire to know God's will, are we facing decisions
for which we want directions from God ?
Or do we strongly want to know what God wants because
 we believe that what  He wants will be the best for everybody ?
The psalmist reveals his strong motivation to be in harmony
with God's purposes and live in God's preferred way.

The psalmist had enough fear of God
to adjust his lifestyle accordingly.
He chose not to walk in the counsel of the wicked
nor to live the way of sinners.

Psalm 119: 97-105 NIV
97     Oh, how I love your law !
         I meditate on it all day long.
98     Your commands make me wiser than my enemies,
         for they are ever with me.
99     I have more insight than all my teachers,
         for I meditate on your statutes.
100   I have more understanding than the elders,
         for I obey your precepts.
101   I have kept my feet from every evil path
         so that I might obey your word.
102   I have not departed from your laws
         for you yourself have taught me.
103   How sweet are your words to my taste
         sweeter than  honey in the mouth !
104   I gain understanding from your precepts;
         therefore I hate every wrong path.
105   Your word is a lamp to my feet
         and a light for my path.

Charles Spurgeon, in his exposition of psalm 119:97-104,
wrote;- "Familiarity with the word of God breeds affection
and affection seeks greater familiarity."
Spurgeon wrote ; "our teachers are not always to be trusted.....
when even our pilots err, it behooves us to follow closely the
 chart of the word of God, that we may be able to save the vessel.

     True hearts are not indifferent to anything that contradicts
the will of God. Today every Christian needs discernment to
 distinguish the wholesome will of God from falsehood and error.

Jesus Christ is supreme wisdom, boundless goodness and infinite love.
He can neither be deceived nor will He deceive us.

Colossians 3:24  NIV
It is the Lord Jesus you are serving.

Colossians 4:2   NIV
Devote yourselves to prayer being watchful and thankful.
Proclaim the mystery of Christ.
6  Let your conversation be always full of grace......

In humility we should stand in the will of God
consecrated to the Lord our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment