Sunday 3 November 2013

PSALM FIFTY, LET GOD SPEAK.

Psalm 50:7 TLV.  O my people, listen as I speak.
Here are my charges against you O Israel:
Psalm 50:17 TLV  For you refuse my discipline
and treat my words like trash.

Because He is our Spiritual Director, God reveals out failings to us.
How shall we ever ask for healing grace if we can't see how immature
we are being ?  God tells His people that He does not need their blood sacrifices,
but he does not reprimand them for their efforts.

Psalm 50:8 GNB    I do not reprimand you because of your sacrifices
and burnt offerings you always bring me.

In their longing for God and their desire for the comfort of His presence
They experience Him in Jerusalem, especially in the temple
where their Praise for Him is greatest.
For them God shines from Zion in perfect beauty

Psalm 50:2  TLV  From Mount Zion , the perfection of beauty,
God shines in glorious radiance.

To day those who have an appetite for God are likely to seek His presence
"on retreat" or in their own "quiet times" and contemplation.
Brother Laurence's book is about "Practicing the presence of God"
in an ongoing way.
Yet it is in thanksgiving and praise that something powerful happens.
Psalm 50:23 GNB 
Giving thanks is the sacrifice that  honours me
and I will surely save all who obey me.
Our God does not need food offerings
Psalm 50:12 If I were hungry I would not ask you for food...
How much does our God really need our praise?
God is most Praiseworthy and our praise and thanksgiving
are more than a communication of information.
It is in our most Christlike attitude of love and open worship
in the power of the Holy Spirit that we encounter the
transforming presence and abiding love of
The Almighty God, our LORD.
It is easy enough for us to look back to the psalmist and his friends
enjoying their processions and sacrifices  and think " It was your praises
which enabled you to know  God's presence". Fortunately we can also look
back at Psalm 22:3. As my friend Neil has commented
"God lives in the praises of His people"
Psalm 22:3 But thou art Holy,
O Thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
.

1 comment:

  1. God lives in the praises of His people “But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.” (Psalm 22:3)
    nice post

    ReplyDelete